Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Genuine Charity

This blog is a combination blog - an ode to two men that have had an impact on me over the last week. The first continues to amaze me every day with his kindness; the second came in and in about 3 seconds changed the way I view things. They made a difference for me this week and I want them to know.
We've had a long week. . . Trev and I found out on Sunday morning that our vehicles had been broken into the night before - two of them, right in front of our house. We had a bunch of stuff stolen and it hasn't been a pleasant experience to get through, mostly because a) we don't get it and b) losing a computer and a variety of other electronics is tough to clean up - we've been calling credit bureaus and changing passwords and the like. Anyway, it's been a mess. Mostly, the experience violated a sense of security that I've always held dear and that, I think, most people would be upset to lose to say the least.
But, even in times of trial, good people tend to rise to the top and become the cream on an otherwise messy situation.
I appreciate so much that I have a great husband to alleviate my "little kid" tendencies to want revenge and get angry. He is so calm and forgiving. . . I'm still trying to figure out where that comes from; I think it's a combination of past experience that has taught him better and of course, his mom.
Ever since this whole mess started, my husband has had proper perspective - recognizing how much worse it could have been for us and how blessed we really are. We are systematically taking care of things and he has been a sympathetic rick - weird combo, huh? It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
Thanks, Trev, for making me see beyond our issues and realize how blessed we are. Thanks for keeping a cool head and always looking out for me. Mostly, I appreciate how forgiving and kind you've been to the people who have wronged us. I hope they realize how lucky they are that you are at the helm of their situation. Thank you for making a difference in my attitude and for teaching me a better way.
You would think that one person's attitude would be enough reason to write a blog. . . and I agree. But it goes beyond that - as of ten minutes ago.
I was making my way into a client meeting, I was chatting with my boss (our owner Dave Thomas) about things and I mentioned that our vehicles had been broken into. Without hesitation, he looked at me and said "Do you need a car? We have an extra car at my house that we can go pick up right now if you need it? Seriously, how can I help you?"
Generally, people make a statement like that as they are walking the other direction and it's followed by "email me or call me or something if you need anything. . . " which sucks the genuineness right out of the offer.  But, he didn't.  He sat there and looked me in the face.  I was overcome with emotion. 
Dave obviously has a vested interest in me as an employee because I do work every day for him that makes us money.  But in that instance, I knew that his heart was beyond that.  He offers help because he cares about me as a person, whether or not I work for him.  He is constantly checking on other people and trying to meet their needs, whether or not it yields anything in return for him.  His concern and charity was 100% genuine and it made a difference, not just in my attitude but in the way that I see things.  He's an example of looking out for others, all the time.  He is constantly serving and working to help others, even when things aren't necessarily great for him.  I need to be better at that.
Thanks Dave for making a difference in a tough situation and for changing my outlook on things.
Thanks to both of you men for giving me hope for a brighter day.  You made a big difference to me today and every day.  Here's to you.

No comments: